Amber and Amanda's Adventures

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Crossing Roads

Today, as I was driving my bike to school I felt God was revealing something to me in a new way. And it all started with me crossing a road. First of all, I just want to say Jesus is so amazing. He uses life examples to open my eyes up to the adventure of following Him. Well, crossing roads in Thailand is a different thing then crossing roads in Canada. Traffic is not orderly by any means. Although there are lights here and there, you still have to always be looking for people who sneek through the red light or drive against the flow of traffic. This one particular spot where I crossed the road today is usually very busy. It is right next to one of the main markets here. When crossing the street here you have to pass through one direction of traffic and then the other. In the middle there is a spot where you can wait to cross to the next lane. But it also has two roads coming in to it- making it a four-way-stop except with no stop signs. Traffic is heading towards you from all directions. I know it's confusing. I guess to explain it even more, it would almost be like sitting in the middle of an intersection, where all the lights were green. We don't know what side the oncoming traffic is going to. It sometimes feels like playing "Chicken" with a bunch of cars. Often when I cross this road I look for a car that's crossing and snug right up next to it. That's the best way to do it. As soon as the car goes, I go. I let the car protect me from on coming traffic. When it passes through the next lane of traffic. I go too. I keep my eyes on the car. I figure the Thai people know timing better than I do. So I do as they do.
Today as I was doing this God told me that is what He wants me to do with Him. He wants me to come beside Him and move when he moves. He doesn't want me focusing on my surroundings. He want's me focused on Him. I often think to myself, when I am crossing the road, "This looks impossible, how am I ever going to cross." But then a car comes and helps me cross. In the same way I often look and see things that seem so impossible in human eyes. But God keeps on reminding me that He doesn't want me focusing on the impossibilities of situations I am in. Instead, he wants me to focus on Him, the one who is going to get me through and past those impossibilities. Isn't God amazing how he speaks? He is constantly using everyday life to speak to us. What an amazing and creative God we serve!

2 Comments:

  • What a great analogy! I could totally picture the intersection and you on the bike riding along side the car and us with God that way...I loved this post!!!

    Now to find or see God coming toward me is the hard part, you know to actually see Him so I can jump on His bandwagon and work along side Him is the hard part.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:04 AM  

  • I love when God speaks through everyday situations. The simpliest things can teach profound lessons about our relationship with Him. Praying God's protection over you as you maneouver through those crowded, disorganized streets. Blessings to you both.
    Jan

    By Blogger Jan, at 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home