Where do we BELONG?
As I was sitting in a little hotel room close to the KL Airport on my way back from doing a visa run in Malaysia, I was overwhelmed by the feeling of a lack of belonging. I was thinking about Lobpuri (we had just moved away 3 days earlier)...I didn't belong there...our time in Lopburi was only temporary. I was thinking about Phuket (I hadn't moved there yet)...I didn't feel like I belonged there. I was thinking about Thailand, the place where I'd love to spend the rest of my life, if it's God's will. I don't truly belong here; I will always be a foreigner, I will always stand out. I was thinking about Canada. Although that is where I come from, I understand the language and culture there, and I can walk around there and not stand out, I don't feel like I truly belong there either...I have always felt like my time there was temporary too. So where do I belong? As I was processing this the other day, I sensed God telling me that I'M NOT HOME YET. HEAVEN is my true home where I'll get to spend eternity with Jesus. Everything in this life is temporary, we are just passing through. Before we know it, we'll be at deaths door. God's continually been showing me that in the end all that matters is Him. I just want to live my life for Him. He's all I need. I can find my identity, security, joy, etc. in Jesus and in Him alone. And one day I'll get to go home and be with him.
Amber
Amber


2 Comments:
Dear Amber,
I feel the same way. Our dwelling place is in the Lord, the world is not our home.With Love to you,
Johanna
These verses say as much.
Heb 11:13-16 MKJV These all died by way of faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off. And they were persuaded of them and embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. (14) For they who say such things declare plainly that they seek a fatherland. (15) And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from which they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned. (16) But now they stretch forth to a better fatherland, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.
Eph 2:18-22 MKJV For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father. (19) Now therefore you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household of God, (20) and are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, (21) in whom every building having been fitly framed together, grows into a holy sanctuary in the Lord; (22) in whom you also are built together for a dwelling place of God through the Spirit.
Amen
By
Johanna A., at 1:14 AM
Dear Amber,
I am an immigrant. We moved to Canada when I was a little girl but I had/have very strong roots in Ireland. Many aunts, uncles, cousins, still live there. We left behind our grandparents and I never saw my grandfather again.
Just after graduating from university my sister and I took a long-awaited trip back. I remember crying as the plane landed. There was such a sense of coming home. But, over the month that we visited, I realized that we didnt' really belong in Ireland either and I had longings for my family and friends back in Canada. I relate to your feeling of not really belonging anywhere. Perhaps your story and mine is more common than we imagine. We're all just pilgrims of one sort or another.
Blessings, Jan
By
Jan, at 11:55 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home